Powered By Blogger

25.3.11

Querying

…again (aka begging for representation)

Work has finally been completed on the latest draft of Book 1 the final word tally of which came in at 78,222. I’ve sent it out to a couple of readers for their feedback including Sean Reardon the kind proprietor of Mindjacker whose own book I won a copy of and I’m very much looking forward to reading.

It’s been suggested that I should put a couple of chapters on authonomy.com and YouWriteOn.com to get feedback and a shot at some editors but I need to investigate this further first. Has anyone else used these or similar sites?

In the meantime I’ve sent out queries to four agents, one in Ireland, one in the UK and two in the US, to their gauge interest if any and will probably add another half dozen to the list before the week is out. 

How does one select who to send it to though? My current method involves asking these questions; whose books do I like reading? Who represents them? Ok then, let’s send it there. There may be a more scientific method but I haven’t stumbled across it yet. I know they say do your research, but does this count as research?

Anyway now I’m in the lull between books. I’m not sufficiently over the first one to allow me to go back to Book 2 just yet. Maybe in April I’ll revisit that haunt. Until then it’s query central,

Slán,

TF.80

Current Reading:     Monday Mourning – Kathy Reichs
                              Room – Emma O’Donoghue

Current Listening:     The Shepherds Dog - Iron and Wine
                                Into the Wild (OST) – Eddie Vedder

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your draft. I've used Authonomy before but I wouldn't suggest using it for criticism. It's more of a popularity contest, and if you don't devote incredible amounts of time to reading & rating other peoples' pieces then you won't get anywhere with it. Best to go with beta readers or join a local writer's group for in-depth critique.

    Regarding who to query, it's really based on what type of book you're trying to "sell." Go to your local library and find their copy of Writer's Market. It'll have a comprehensive list of agents, how to reach them, and what their submission requirements are, as well as which genres they want to see. Use WM and a site like AgentQuery.com (and, as always, keep an eye out for scammers on Preditors & Editors). You can also post your query letter to be critiqued on AbsoluteWrite.com and get some decent tips on agent Nathan Bransford's blog.

    Hope this helps. Good luck with querying. It's pretty much my least favorite thing, a lot like applying for jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Todd,

    After looking at Authonomy over the weekend it doesn't seem to serve the function it was originally set up for.

    I''l give it a miss,
    TF.80

    ReplyDelete